Monday, March 21, 2011

The most ridiculous argument ever ?

I have to write this down as I can't believe I heard it and want to record the words for posterity.

Having told my dinner companion a few times he was talking bollocks (as I'm apt to do when I am busy doing something else, not really concentrating on the discussions and quite frankly don't want to engage in trying to argue intellectually with Neanderthal man), he came out with this little gem :

"It's terrible that they are indoctrinating children in school to turn off lights to save energy"

"And your point is ?" I asked

"Well, it's the economics of supply and demand. If we use more electricity they will generate more electricity which will be cheaper because they have made more and then they will put the price down........."

"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I was almost speechless at such a well thought out and logical argument.

"I have never heard such a ridiculous argument in my entire life" I replied, almost laughing because it was so inane and naive.

"And it's a complete load of bollocks"

Funnily enough he went all bright red in complexion, said that if I told him he was talking bollocks once more that he would rearrange my face some distance from the rest of my head, and left in a hurry. Thank heavens.

My two extremely intellectual companions, who had admittedly been gently winding the overblown wind bag up for a while ("I've read a book on this" he said - "was it in large print?" asked my friend), did admit that I had only stated what they had been thinking..... and they thought my comments were entirely justified.

Even my wife didn't take me to task for once !!

My only regret is that I didn't catch him as he was leaving.

So for the record, once again, he was talking complete and UTTER bollocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment