Friday, June 20, 2014

Draytek 3300, 2820 & 120 pass through

Well, to be honest I have seriously struggled with this.

I have a couple of standard copper ADSL lines. I had run them with a pair of Draytek 2820s which had been very good (Drayeks stupid policies aside).

I wanted to try and bundle stuff, especially my VOIP line that I run across a VPN so I thought it woudl be easy to bang in a couple of 3300s at each end (the other end has the same configuration) and then I could really cook on gas.

Except...

Trying to put the 2820s into any form of passthrough has had me wanting to smash kit.

Theoretically you should be able to put the 2820 into 'pass through mode' - yes a waste of a good router, but then they are getting on and will suffice.

This make makes the router act dumb and pretend to be juts a silly dumb modem to make the basic connection. The WAN port on the 3300 then makes the PPoE authentication/connection.

Except..... the 2820 doesn't want to play dumb. Too smart for its own good.

So I decided to purchase a littel Draytek v120 as a test. This is nothing but a dumb modem. Picks up the line, and that's it.

But try as I might,  still couldn't get the friggin things to work.

In the end I managed it as follows:

The connection is normally PPPoE. However, for some strage reason I do not understand, you need to connect ith PPPoE :

On the 120
Set it to PPPoE
DHCP - so you can get at it at some stage

Make sure the VPI/VCI are set correctly

Draytek 3300

PPPoE mode
Username/Password - as per original settings
Authentication - as before
Service name - BLANK - this is what screwed me. Don't fill it in unless you really need it
IP address - as before - static or dynamic

Look for the little 'Always On' tick box to the right near PPTP setting. You can easily miss it.

Ok your way out and reboot.

Hopefully job done. You may need to tinker with the connection detection/dead peer settings. Mine were at 10/2 but have upped it to 15/4 at the minute.

Once I got this, I went back to the 2820, put in the same settings using PPPoE passthrough, and presto - it worked as well.


Just need to get MPPoA to go now.....

No comments:

Post a Comment